Saturday, 14 May 2011

Lykke Li – Sadness Is A Blessing


WRITTEN FOR GOBSHOUT

 May 16

Atlantic Records

You would have had to have been living in another dimension not to have stumbled across this Swedish songstress over recent months.

With sophomore album ‘Wounded Rhymes’ having the critics on their knees as she lamented on post tour depression and love stories gone wrong, second single, ‘Sadness Is A Blessing’, bleeds all of the above with ethereal melodies and gripping vocals containing the moving poignancy of a ghost ship in the night.

As the 24 year old croons: “I ranted, I pleaded, I beg him not to go. For sorrow, the only lover I've ever known,” there’s an openness that is as compelling as it is cheerless and she continues: “Sadness is a blessing, sadness is a pearl, sadness is my boyfriend, oh sadness I’m your girl,” to show a lonely soul shedding the burden of broken days.

No comments:

Post a Comment